- The score is usually 1-0.
- They play a series of small moves, and suddenly the whole layout has dramatically changed.
- They play moves and lines that you just couldn't see until they showed it to you
- Everyone but the aficionado gets bored watching them
- They know they have 90 minutes to win the game, and don't try to hurry it. Thus not giving the opponent a chance to capitalize on any error.
- No useless shots at goal (checks). One is good enough to win most games.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
The Spanish Grandmasters
Watching Spain plod through the World Cup rounds, I keep getting the feeling that they play football, similar to a grandmaster playing chess. Xavi in particular being the mover.